The Los Angeles area has so many great resources, one such influential organization is The L.A. LGBT Center. The L.A. LGBT Center’s Village at Ed Gould Plaza at 1125 N. McCadden Place in Los Angeles, CA 90038 provides free services such as Social Networking Groups, 12-step Group meetings, cultural events and a variety of classes for adults. A few important meetings from this location are listed below:
- Men’s Speakeasy: A weekly social networking group for men of all ages, shapes and sizes. Each weekly meeting provides opportunities for facilitated topics and open forum discussions. Ever Tuesday 8-9:30pm
- Lesbian Chat: Social Networking for all LBT women who want great conversations and a way to meet other queer women outside the bars. Every Monday, 8-9:30 pm (canceled holidays)
- Transgender Perceptions: A safe and supportive space for transgender community to gather and have great conversations. Every Friday, 8-9:30 pm
- Bi-osphere: Great conversation and community building for all who identify as bisexual. Every 2nd & 4th Monday, 8-9:30 pm
- 12-Step Programs include: Al-Anon, AA Happy Hour, Women’s AA, Gay & Lesbian CODA, DA, MA, SCA, CMA, OA, UA and much more!
- Coming Out Workshops: Three private workshops (for Women, for Men, for Youth) that provide safe and supportive spaces for participants to admit, explore, accept and embrace their true sexual identity, whatever that may be. For more information, go to www.lalgbtcenter.org/comingout or call 1-877-OUT-4-LIFE (1-877-688-4543). Group times are subject to change. For more information go to www.lalgbtcenter.org/groups
New to Los Angeles?
Dance Clubs and Bars
- Rage (18+/21+): One of the few clubs in West Hollywood for the 18+ crowd on Friday and Saturday nights. At night this place is one the quintessential spots for loud music and hot dancing. Cover is usually around $10.
- Abbey (21+): The Abbey is one of LA’s most popular bars. Conveniently located just off the West Hollywood strip, The Abbey is a great place to dine during the day and enjoy drinks at night. Definitely a spot not to be missed for the 21+ crowd. No cover.
- Tigerheat (18+): Probably the most popular 18+ gay club, Tigerheat is a weekly event hosted by the Avalon in Hollywood. Closer to USC than West Hollywood and attracting a trendy crowd, we think you’ll enjoy this venue. Cover is about $10.
- Akbar (21+): Silverlake’s best known bar, attracting a hipster-dominated crowd. No cover for the bar; however the dance area does have a cover except Fridays and Saturdays.
- LA Gay and Lesbian Center: The LA Gay and Lesbian Center offers an array of counseling services for the LGBT community. Examples of support programs include those tailored to Transgender individuals, STD Treatment, and substance abuse issues.
Shopping and Dining
- Beverly Center: Great indoor mall with three stories of LA trendiest shopping.
- The Grove: Open air space with good dining options, charming décor and a selection of shopping venues, such as Nordstrom’s, Apple Store, Abercrombie, and Barney’s.
- Santa Monica Promenade: The Third Street Promenade is a one stop for all your clothing needs. Mostly outdoors, with a newly renovated indoor mall space. Shops include, but by no means limited to, United Colors and Beneton, French Connection, Lush, and so on.
- Westside Pavillion: Classic mall with general selection of stores and brands such as Express, Hollister, etc.
- Bacaro: Excellent wine and tapas bar within walking distance from campus. Food and wine selection is unmatched in the USC area. Very crowded weekend nights. Try to get there earlier for seating.
Gay Areas of Los Angeles
- West Hollywood (WeHo): L.A.’s best known gay area with a full strip of gay nightclubs, some dining options, shopping, etc. Mostly a trendy, mainstream crowd.
- Silverlake: One of L.A.’s more alternative neighborhoods, definitely the main hipster hang-out of the LA area. Bars and crowd border on bohemian, and fun alternative to the WeHo scene.