Name & Gender Change

Unfortunately, at this time a name change with the University is not possible unless a student has legally changed their name. However, there are a variety of ways to add your chosen name and pronouns to university data systems, change your display name on your email address, change your NetID, get a new USC ID card, and permanently change your Zoom display name and add pronouns to Zoom. You make some of these changes yourself and some require a request for gender identity accommodations through the Office for Equity, Equal Opportunity, and Title IX. To obtain a new NetID or a new USC ID card that reflects your chosen name, please complete this form requesting gender identity accommodations. Details on how to make the other changes mentioned are listed below. If you have any questions, please contact Student Equity and Inclusion Programs Manager, Megan van der Toorn.

Legal Name Change

On Campus

To change one’s name with the University, students must complete the “Change or Correction of Name Form” with the Registrar’s Office. For more information on name changes, visit the Registrar’s site. The Registrar’s Office requires legal verification.

State of California

Court-Ordered Name Change:

  1. Fill out court forms (Form NC-100, NC-110, NC-120, NC-130, and CM-010).
  2. Make at least two copies of all your forms.
  3. File your forms with the court clerk. You will need to pay a filing fee ($435 in LA County, as of July 2017). To find your local courthouse, visit Fee waivers are available: You will be assigned a court date to appear before a judge.
  4. Publish the Order to Show Cause for Change of Name (NC-120). This must be posted in a newspaper for four consecutive weeks before your court date. Ask your court for a list of approved publications. The cost of publication can vary greatly among the various approved newspapers, so be sure to check the prices before submitting Form NC-120 to the courthouse.
  5. Attend your court date. Bring a copy of Form NC-130 for the judge to sign, as well as proof that your Order to Show Cause was published in the newspaper.
  6. Get your Decree Changing Name from the Court. It is advisable to get at least one or two certified copies. You can use this to change your name on your birth certificate, Social Security card, and other government-issued identification.

Other States and Federal Documents

The National Center for Transgender Equality maintains an ID Documents Center with information on state and federal name/gender change options and processes.

Add Chosen Name, Pronouns, and Update Gender Identity in MyUSC

Students can update their chosen name, pronouns, or gender identity at any time through their MyUSC profile. Information from MyUSC integrates into the Student Information System (SIS). This mainframe system hold a broad range of information – like admissions status, financial aid, registration, etc. – and provides necessary information to several other university systems, including OASIS, Web Registration, and the online Schedule of Classes.

USC Email Name Change

It is important to note that a university name change will not change your USC username.

To change the name that appears when you send email from USC Gmail, please follow the steps below. You can change your display name with or without a legal name change.

  1.  Click on the Gear in the upper right.
  2.  Click on Settings
  3.  Click on the Accounts Tab
  4.  Click on edit info on the right
  5.  Click on the Radio button next to the blank box.
  6.  Enter your name as you want it to appear in the blank box
  7.  Click on Save Changes

Changing your USC NetID (username)

In collaboration with the Office for Equity, Equal Opportunity, and Title IX (EEO-TIX), the LGBTQ+ Student Center has arranged for students to change their USC NetIDs, if necessary, so that the name listed in an email matches the name students use in accordance with their gender identity. Simply complete this form.  The EEO-TIX office will request the NetID change. Please allow up to 2 weeks for the NetID change.

Changing your USCard

You can also now have a new USC Card printed with your correct name. Be sure to first update your photo at the USCard website. Then, complete this form indicating you would like a new USCard printed. The EEO-TIX office will facilitate the request on behalf of the student and the student will be notified when a new card is ready for pick up.

Gender Change *

If a student legally changed their name with their state, then proof of this gender change on their state issued identification card can be presented to the Registrar’s Office to change their gender with the University. A gender change can be completed when submitting the Name Change Form to the Registrar.

* Note: Name and gender changes will not change on federal documents unless the student has made these changes to their social security. Also, name changes will not be transferred in issues of payroll, which is especially important for graduate students that serves as teaching assistants or research assistants. University payroll will pay individuals with the name on their social security. If you need assistance changing your name/gender with the state or government contact the L.A. LGBT Center’s Transgender Economic Empowerment Project.

Zoom Display Name/Pronouns Change:

You can change your display name in your Zoom settings to accurately reflect your preferred name and pronouns.

  1. Visit and click Sign in.
  2. Sign in using your USC NetID and password.
  3. Click Profile.
  4. Select Edit to the right of your name.
  5. Edit the Display Name.
  6. Select Save Changes.

If you encounter issues when trying to change your display name or add pronouns, you can contact ITS for support by opening an ITS ticket requesting service at the USC ITS contact webpage.